Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bibb County

 
 
Bibb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
1. Bibb County Marker
Inscription.  Bibb County was created by Act of Dec. 9, 1822 from Houston, Jones, Monroe and Twiggs Counties. It was named for Dr. William Wyatt Bibb (1781-1820) of Elbert County. Dr. Bibb, physician, legislator, Congressman, Senator, was appointed Governor of the Territory of Alabama by Pres. Madison and was the first elective Governor of the State of Alabama. First officers of Bibb County, commissioned Feb. 12, 1823, were: Nicholas W. Wells, Clerk of Superior Court; James Flewellen, Clerk of Inferior Court; John B. Grace, Surveyor. Isaac Philips was made Surveyor July 16, 1823. John H. Hudson was commissioned Sheriff, Jan. 9, 1824.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 16, 1800.
 
Location. 32° 50.294′ N, 83° 37.678′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Mulberry Street and 2nd Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, on the right when traveling west on Mulberry Street. The marker stands at the Mulberry Street entrance to the Bibb County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Mulberry Street, Macon GA 31201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hardeman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Library Ballroom / College Discotheque (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sidney Lanier's Law Office (about 300 feet away); Emerson Building (about 300 feet away); Sidney Lanier (about 300 feet away); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (about 300 feet away); The Lanier House (about 400 feet away); Wilson's Raid To Macon (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
 
Also see . . .  Bibb County website. (Submitted on July 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Bibb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
2. Bibb County Marker
Bibb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
3. Bibb County Marker
The marker stands at the Mulberry Street entrance to the Bibb County Courthouse.
Bibb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
4. Bibb County Marker
The Mulberry Street side of the Bibb County Courthouse
Bibb County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2011
5. Bibb County Marker
This, the fourth Bibb County Courthouse, was erected in 1924; in 1926 a jail was added to the top floor.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 850 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44892

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024