Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Metamora in Franklin County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Jenks and Martindale Grocery

 
 
Jenks and Martindale Grocery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
1. Jenks and Martindale Grocery Marker
Inscription.  Alfred Blacklidge was the original owner of this building. The original building burned in 1885. In the early 1900's. Blacklidge was extending credit to surrounding sharecroppers, when bad times came, forcing many of the farmers to default on their debts, thus forcing him out of business.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
 
Location. 39° 26.79′ N, 85° 8.047′ W. Marker is in Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (a.k.a. Pennington Road) and Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west on Main Street (a.k.a. Pennington Road). Located in South Metamora - cross over bridge from Columbia Street - turn right on Main Street -- the marker is immediately on your left. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19046 Main Street, Metamora IN 47030, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Metamora Masonic Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Camp's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Meat Market
Long View - - Jenks and Martindale Grocery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, July 17, 2011
2. Long View - - Jenks and Martindale Grocery Marker
Note marker on the exterior wall of the building - between the door and the window.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); The Confectionary (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Cobbler's Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Martindale Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Faulkner-Pierce Drug Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Stable (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Metamora, Indiana 1838 Canal Town. Town wersite. (Submitted on December 15, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=44904

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 14, 2021