Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Bonny Oaks School
Authorized by Act of the General Assembly, 1895. The first Board of Trustees met March 7th 1896. Present were the Reverend J.W. Bachman, President: Major Charles D. McGuffy, Secretary: J.S. Bell, Treasurer; Judge Seth M. Walker; and Squire L.W. Bates.
On January 4th, 1898 the Col. Jarrett G. Dent plantation, later known as “Bonnie Oaks Farm at Jersey,” was purchased. J.C. Kalleen was engaged as first superintendent. The first student was admitted February 22, 1898 “at the request of his mother, his father being dead.”
The Negro Department was opened April 28th, 1898.
July 31, 1899 a deed to the adjoining Trimble farm was presented to the School by Z. C. Patten, Sr. for a Girls’ Department.
Erected by Bonny Oaks School.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5114 Bonny Oaks Drive, Chattanooga TN 37416, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tennessee Valley Railroad And Museum (approx. 1.4 miles away); Crucial Supply Lines (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cleburne's Fort (approx. 1˝ miles away); Chickamauga Station (approx. 2.6 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 3 miles away); Lowrey's Brigade (approx. 3.1 miles away); Cleburne's Division (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Also see . . . Official, non-profit website created for the boys and girls of the former Bonny Oaks School. (Submitted on January 7, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 4, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 3,177 times since then and 104 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week February 17, 2008. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 4, 2008, by Christine Haven of Houston, Texas. 7, 8. submitted on February 5, 2008, by Christine Haven of Houston, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.