Albuquerque in Bernalillo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
In early April 1862, Civil War Confederate forces that had invaded New Mexico Territory began their retreat back to Texas following defeat at Glorieta Pass, east of Santa Fe, two weeks earlier. Confederate artillery commander Major Trevanion T. Teel buried eight cannon barrels near this Plaza to prevent their capture by pursuing Union Forces.
Twenty-seven years later, Major Teel returned to Albuquerque to how local citizens where the cannon barrels were buried. On August 19, 1889, all eight barrels were excavated from a chili pepper patch, formerly a corral, some 500 feet northeast of San Felipe de Neri Church, near the present day Albuquerque Museum of Art and History. Two of the barrels have remained in Albuquerque.
Local residents made
The original mountain howitzer barrels and other artifacts from the New Mexico Campaign of the Civil War are on display at the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History, two blocks northeast of the Plaza.
The City of Albuquerque and the donors listed on the opposite side of this marker completed a howitzer restoration and interpretation project in 2007.
Erected by City of Albuquerque New Mexico.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 5.769′ N, 106° 40.18′ W. Marker is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in Bernalillo County. Marker can be reached from North Plaza Street NW. Marker is on the east side of "Old Town Plaza". Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Albuquerque NM 87104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Albuquerque (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Soldiers (a few steps from this marker); In This Plaza Were Enacted (a few steps from this marker); Skirmish of Albuquerque (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe De Neri (within shouting distance of this marker); Casa de Armijo (within shouting distance of this marker); San Felipe de Alburquerque (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Town History (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albuquerque.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,206 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 30, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.