Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Colored Department of the City Hospital / Doctors and Nurses

 
 
Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker
Side 1
Inscription.  
Colored Department of the City Hospital

The first City Hospital, c. 1841, was located on the South Commons. Called “the Pest House,” its clients were charity patients. The second City Hospital, c. 1894, was built across from Linwood Cemetery. Architectural details of the Victorian era hospital included a turret, porte-cochere and covered walkways from white and colored wards leading to a brick operating room, to the left of the building. Columbus third hospital was built in 1915, with the Colored Department building located to the rear. The Colored Department was a three-story brick structure completely fitted with the latest and most modern equipment, providing thirty beds.

Doctors and Nurses
The service of midwives in early years was vital to the health of Columbus’ colored patients. The Columbus Colored Medical Association was responsible for the building and maintenance of the Colored Department building in 1915. Dr. W. T. Ayers, Dr. E. J. Turner, Dr. D. W. Gallimore, Dr. M. L. Taylor and Dr. Thomas H. Brewer comprised the board. The Public Health Nurse Association began in 1917.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The first colored nurse hired was Sarah V. Allen. Three other colored nurses were soon hired to fulfill the growing need. They were Dagmar Ferell, Mabel Priester and Erlynne Oglen. The four nurses assisted in bedside care and home instruction.
 
Erected 2003 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Alfonso Biggs, and the Historic Columbus Foundation, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1841.
 
Location. 32° 28.726′ N, 84° 58.939′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 17th Street and 8th Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 17th Street. The marker is located at the Columbus Regional Pediatrics Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 705 17th Street, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Establishment of Memorial Day (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brigadier General Henry Lewis Benning (about 600 feet away); Linwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); This Gun
Doctors and Nurses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Doctors and Nurses Marker
Side 2
(approx. ¼ mile away); Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Winona Cargile Alexander: A Founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker
Looking east on 17th Street at the 8th Avenue intersection
Doctors and Nurses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Doctors and Nurses Marker
Looking west on 17th Street.
Doctors and Nurses Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Doctors and Nurses Marker
The Columbus Regional Pediatrics Center is in the background.
Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
6. Colored Department of the City Hospital Marker
Looking across 17th Street at Linwood Cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,105 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45385

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024