Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cannon-Maston House

 
 
Cannon-Maston House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Cannon-Maston House Marker
Inscription.  In 1696, James Cannon received a patent for land at this location from the Proprietary government of Maryland. Known as Ickford, the tract became the property of his son Thomas Cannon in 1712. It is believed that he erected the first section of the present brick dwelling in 1727, and expanded the structure in 1733. The property remained in the Cannon family until 1851, when it was sold to Halsey H. Maston. In its construction details and plan, the Cannon-Maston House reflects the architectural traditions of early plantation owners in the Chesapeake Bay region. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Sussex County. The Cannon-Maston House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
 
Erected 2007 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-70.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1696.
 
Location. 38° 41.299′ N, 75° 38.938′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Atlanta Road, 0.6 miles north of Wesley Church Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wesley United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor Ross Mansion (approx. 2.6 miles away); Family Home of William H. H. Ross (approx. 2.7 miles away); Acorn Club of Seaford (approx. 2.7 miles away); Slave Quarter (approx. 2.7 miles away); Seaford District Library (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hearn's Pond (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stein Highway (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Cannon-Maston House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. Cannon-Maston House
As seen from the road.
Cannon-Maston House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
3. Cannon-Maston House
Cannon-Maston House Marker, looking north along Atlanta Road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 16, 2012
4. Cannon-Maston House Marker, looking north along Atlanta Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,832 times since then and 120 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   4. submitted on October 22, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4541

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024