Shelton in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Joseph E. Johnson and the Huntsmanís Echo
Johnsonís Ranch was an important supply point serving Mormons and other travelers on the Council Bluffs Road (Mormon Trail). It included a general store, blacksmith shop, post office, mill, and a farm that grew crops and vegetables. Buffalo and elk roamed the area and the Pawnee Tribe lived nearby.
Johnson strongly favored preserving the Union and was appalled by the coming bloodshed of the Civil War. On the grounds that “this Republican reign of terror...is too much for our democratic style of free thought, free speech, and freedom,” he decided to move west to join his fellow Mormons in Utah. The last issue of The Huntsmanís Echo was published August 1, 1861. Wood
Erected by Wood River Valley Historical Society and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 407.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1860.
Location. 40° 46.804′ N, 98° 44.14′ W. Marker is in Shelton, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 30 and South D Street, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 30. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shelton NE 68876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Meisner Bank Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shelton Pioneers (about 500 feet away); Original Townsite of Wood River (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Soldiers Free Homestead Colony (approx. 6.1 miles away); Memorial Tree (approx. 6.2 miles away); Gibbon (approx. 6.2 miles away); First Buffalo County Court House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche (approx. 7Ĺ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shelton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 657 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.