Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
One of the largest convalescent hospitals in the Confederacy was constructed “on the edge of town” on the site of Camp Montgomery, with Dr. Francis O. Ticknor, Georgia doctor and poet, as its chief surgeon.
The greatest hospital activity here followed the capture of Atlanta in September, 1864. On October 1, Dr. Samuel Hollinsworth Stout, Medical Director of Hospitals, Army and Department of Tennessee, ordered hospitals under his command moved to Columbus from Macon and Barnesville. Hundreds of patients were placed in tents on the town common and under the open sheds of the Muscogee Railroad. Subsidiary units were established in Opelika and Tuscumbia, Ala. Advance reports of the approach of Wilson’s Raiders in 1865 caused the rapid removal of the hospital staffs
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 106-28.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1864.
Location. 32° 27.881′ N, 84° 59.482′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on 10th Street 0.1 miles west of Second Avenue, on the left when traveling west. The marker stands in front of the Muscogee County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ladies Defender (a few steps from this marker); Springer Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); POW✯MIA Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Red Jacket (within shouting distance of this marker); Primus King and the Civil Rights Movement (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Thomas H. Brewer (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbus Symphony Orchestra (about 500 feet away); Fit for Man and Beast (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 615 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.