Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New Brighton in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pennsylvania Canal System

 
 
Pennsylvania Canal System Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 7, 2011
1. Pennsylvania Canal System Marker
Inscription.  Beaver Division built 1831-1834. Two locks at Rochester, five in New Brighton and two at Eastvale overcame the falls of the Beaver River. The canal was extended to Erie in 1834. Canal traffic ceased in 1871. Few remains are visible today.
 
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania - Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation series list.
 
Location. 40° 44.207′ N, 80° 18.945′ W. Marker is in New Brighton, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 3rd Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 18/65) and Mulberry Street. Located in Townsend Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Brighton PA 15066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Underground Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Underground Railroad (approx. 0.4 miles away); Merrick Art Gallery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church
Pennsylvania Canal System Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 7, 2011
2. Pennsylvania Canal System Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of New Brighton (approx. half a mile away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); White Cottage (approx. half a mile away); Patterson Heights Incline (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Brighton.
 
Also see . . .  Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks Foundation. Marker Program (Submitted on October 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 7, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 23, 2020