Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomfield in Essex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

German Presbyterian Church

 
 
German Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James True, August 12, 2011
1. German Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  This bell was hung in 1896 in the German Presbyterian Church and for 70 years summoned the community to worship at the south-east corner of Park Avenue and State Street. In 1966 the congregation united with the Church on the Green. By joint action of the town of Bloomfield, the Church on the Green and Bloomfield College the bell was placed here to commemorate the services of the German Congregation to church, college and town.
 
Erected 1979 by The town of Bloomfield, The Church on the Green, and Bloomfield College.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
 
Location. 40° 47.721′ N, 74° 11.82′ W. Marker is in Bloomfield, New Jersey, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Street and Liberty Street, on the right when traveling north on Franklin Street. The marker in Photo 1 is mounted to the left of the bell. The marker in Photo 2 is mounted to the right of the bell. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomfield NJ 07003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
as the crow flies. Lest We Forget (a few steps from this marker); Bloomfield Centennial War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Bloomfield (within shouting distance of this marker); Davis Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Col. Thomas Cadmus House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morris Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Belleville Copper Rolling Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Station Square (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomfield.
 
Regarding German Presbyterian Church. The bell was made by The E. W. Vanduzen Co. Cincinnati, Buckeye Bell Foundry, 1896.
 
German Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James True, August 12, 2011
2. German Presbyterian Church Marker
The original church was built in 1854. The inscription on the bell was the text upon which the Reverend Professor George C. Seibert preached in 1865 when the steeple was added. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again into a lively hope by the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." 1 Peter 1:3
German Presbyterian Church Bell image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James True, August 12, 2011
3. German Presbyterian Church Bell
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 12, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2011, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46030

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024