Near Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Endicott System
The Endicott System consisted of several types of weapons designated to repel all classes of enemy naval vessels. It worked like this at Fort Washington:
- 6-inch and 10-inch disappearing rifles could reach enemy battleships and cruisers 6 to 7 miles downriver.
- Searchlights were added to the system in the early 1900s to spotlight enemy vessels attacking at night.
- Eight, 12-inch seacoast mortars could lob 700-pound shells almost vertically through the lightly armored decks of enemy battleships and cruisers.
- Submarine mines anchored in a predetermined pattern in the river could be fired electrically from the shore
- Small caliber rapid fire guns mounted near the river could protect the minefield from
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • Military • War, Spanish-American • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 38° 42.74′ N, 77° 1.978′ W. Marker is near Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south. Located in Fort Washington Park, just outside the visitors center / museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Capital Guardian (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (here, next to this marker); Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Washington Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main Gateway (about 400 feet away); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (about 400 feet away); The Water Battery (about 700 feet away); Caponiere (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker are drawings showing a coastal artilleryman in a typical garrison uniform circa 1906, a 10-inch disappearing gun, a searchlight, a rapid firing gun, a mine, and a 12-inch seacoast mortar.
On the right a map of the fort details the locations of the batteries and their armaments:
Battery White - Two 4" rapid-fire guns [Model] 1888 - [range] 6 miles (9.6K)
Battery Many - Two 3" rapid-fire guns [Model] 1902 - [range] 5 miles (8K)
Battery Decatur - Two 10" guns [Model] 1888 - [range] 7 miles (11.2K)
Battery Meigs - Eight 12" rifled mortars [Model] 1890 - [range] 9 miles (14.5K)
Battery Emory - Two 10" guns [Model] 1888 - [range] 7 miles (11.2K)
Battery Humphreys - Two 10" guns [Model] 1888 - [range] 7 miles (11.2K)
Battery Smith - Two 3" rapid-fire guns [Model] 1902 - [range] 5 miles (8K)
Battery Willdn - Two 6" guns [Model] 1897 - [range] 6 miles (9.6K)
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study
Also see . . .
1. Coast Defenses of the Potomac. National Park Service page detailing the post-Civil War defenses of the nation's capital. (Submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Board of Fortifications. (the Endicott Board), Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 10, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,216 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on August 17, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 10, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on December 10, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.