Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elkhart Lake in Sheboygan County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

1950 Start/Finish

Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake

 
 
1950 Start/Finish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, August 17, 2011
1. 1950 Start/Finish Marker
[north side of marker]
Inscription.  Four races were held on the 1950 circuit. First place in the sixty-mile main event went to Jim Kimberly driving a Ferrari Tipo 166.

Marker donated by: Augie Pabst in honor of Briggs Cunningham and Alfred Momo.

Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake listed on the National Register of Historic Places February 17, 2006.

 
Erected 2006 by Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake; Augie Pabst. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Roads & VehiclesSports. A significant historical date for this entry is February 17, 1893.
 
Location. 43° 50.398′ N, 88° 2.368′ W. Marker is near Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, in Sheboygan County. Marker is on County Road P, 0.4 miles north of Birchwwod Drive (County Road JP), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart Lake WI 53020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hard Right (approx. half a mile away); The Marsh Turn (approx. half a mile away); The Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Park & Wildlife Area
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Briggs' Bend (approx. 0.8 miles away); Peck's Alley (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dickens' Ditch (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ted's Turn (approx. one mile away); 1951–52 Start/Finish (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart Lake.
 
More about this marker. The Village of Elkhart Lake and the roads surrounding Elkhart Lake hosted open-road sports car racing in 1950, 1951 and 1952. Fourteen historical markers were placed around the circuits (to commemorate the names and the events that occurred) by Historic Race Circuits of Elkhart Lake, a Wisconsin non-profit corporation.
 
Also see . . .
1. MG Vintage Racers. Racing at Elkhart Lake, WI. (Submitted on August 19, 2011.) 

2. Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. Wikipedia entry. Racing. (Submitted on August 19, 2011.) 
 
1950 Start/Finish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, August 17, 2011
2. 1950 Start/Finish Marker
[south side of marker with duplicate text]
1950 Start/Finish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, August 17, 2011
3. 1950 Start/Finish Marker
[southbound]
1950 Start/Finish Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, August 17, 2011
4. 1950 Start/Finish Marker
[northbound]
The races went to the north from here.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 537 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   3, 4. submitted on August 19, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46187

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 20, 2024