Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bloomsburg in Columbia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort McClure

 
 
Fort McClure Marker image. Click for full size.
August 11, 2011
1. Fort McClure Marker
Inscription.  Early in 1781 the McClure house was stockaded by the noted Indian fighter, Moses Van Campen, to protect settlers in this region after destruction of Fort Jenkins in 1780. Site on the north bank of the Susquehanna in present Bloomsburg.
 
Erected by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1781.
 
Location. 40° 59.661′ N, 76° 28.392′ W. Marker is in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, in Columbia County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 11) just south of Red Mill Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bloomsburg PA 17815, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wyoming Path (a few steps from this marker); 261 West Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); 259 West Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); 246 West Main Street (approx. 0.8 miles away); Rupert Covered Bridge
Fort McClure Marker-wide shot image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
2. Fort McClure Marker-wide shot
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.9 miles away); 142-144 West Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Rupert Covered Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); 128 West Main Street (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomsburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2011. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 20, 2011.   2. submitted on October 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46287

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2021