Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Diamond Hill

The home of Lt. General Wade Hampton, C.S.A.

 
 
Diamond Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, August 21, 2011
1. Diamond Hill Marker
Inscription.  Known as "Diamond Hill," which was burned by Union Troops during their invasion of Columbia, February 17, 1865, was located 125 feet due south of this spot. The stones in this monument formed part of the foundation of that home.
 
Erected 1957 by Wade Hampton Camp No. 273 Sons of Confederate Veterans.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 17, 1853.
 
Location. 34° 0.781′ N, 81° 0.422′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Westminster Drive and Stratford Road, in the median on Westminster Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heidt - Russell House / Edwin R. Russell (approx. half a mile away); James M. Hinton House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Waverly Five and Dime / George Elmore and Elmore v. Rice (approx. 0.6 miles away); Cyril O. Spann Medical Office
Diamond Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, August 21, 2011
2. Diamond Hill Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Visanska-Starks House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Matthew J. Perry House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Calvary Baptist Church (approx. Ύ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Additional commentary.
1.
The Wade Hampton Camp placed this 5 foot marker in March, 1957, at a cost of $150. Joel J. Marshall designed the marker and was the chairman of the marker committee. George Thomas Harmon was the architect. Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Williams contributed the stone. Edward L Wright, commander of the Wade Hampton Camp, presided over the dedication ceremony. S.L. Latimer, Jr., editor and publisher of The State newspaper, was the principal speaker. Cecil D. Brearley offered the invocation and benediction.
    — Submitted August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.
 
Confederate Calvary Lt. General Wade Hampton image. Click for full size.
3. Confederate Calvary Lt. General Wade Hampton
Diamond Hill Marker Overview image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, August 21, 2011
4. Diamond Hill Marker Overview
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 779 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46448

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022