Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Cubo Line

Santo Domingo Redoubt & City Gate

 
 
The Cubo Line Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. The Cubo Line Marker
Inscription.  Following the 1702 English siege of St. Augustine, the Spanish began construction of a defensive system to protect the Presidio. The Cubo Line, built in 1704 to safeguard the town's northern sector, was the first line of defense the Spanish raised.

In the early 18th century, the Spanish in Florida used the medieval term Cubo to describe rounded, pointed or square bastions built into defensive walls. The Cubo Line derived its name from three cubos built into its wall.

Throughout the 18th and early 19th centuries, the Spanish in Florida applied the term reducto (redoubt) to cubos built into the defensive walls.
 
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1702.
 
Location. 29° 53.881′ N, 81° 18.893′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Cordova Street and Orange Street, on the right when traveling south on Cordova Street. Located in front of the Santo Domingo
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Redoubt reconstruction. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lynching of Isaac Barrett / Racial Violence in America (a few steps from this marker); The Lynching of Isaac Barrett (a few steps from this marker); Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Los Floridanos (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Spanish Period Map image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Spanish Period Map
Late First Spanish Period Map (1764) map by J.J. Elixio de la Puente. The map shows the locations of the Rosario Line and the Santo Domingo Redoubt.
Inset Showing Details of the Spanish Map image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. Inset Showing Details of the Spanish Map
Depiction of the Eastern Portion of the Cubo Line image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
4. Depiction of the Eastern Portion of the Cubo Line
The eastern portion of the Cubo Line (reconstructed here) incorporated the City Gate and the Santo Domingo Redoubt. This wall, also known as the interior line, ran westward from the Castillo to the San Sebastian River.
Profile of the Redoubt image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
5. Profile of the Redoubt
The profile of the Santo Domingo Redoubt followed a standard design employed for centuries in the construction of redoubts, defensive lines and other field works.
The Cubo Line Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
6. The Cubo Line Marker
Orange Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
7. Orange Street
Orange Street follows roughly the same course of the Cubo Line, extending west from the Castillo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46634

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024