Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

8 inch Columbiad

 
 
8 inch Columbiad Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. 8 inch Columbiad Marker
Inscription.  
A part of the armament of
historic Fort Marion
(Castillo de San Marcos)
before, during and after the
Civil War
Presented to
the City of St. Augustine
by the U.S. War Department
June 12, 1900

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1857.
 
Location. 29° 53.555′ N, 81° 18.761′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Plaza and St. George Street, on the left when traveling west on Cathedral Plaza. Located in the Plaza de la Constitución. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plaza de la Constitución (here, next to this marker); Government House: Legacy of Authority (here, next to this marker); Balcón de los Reyes (a few steps from this marker); Constitution Monument (a few steps from this marker); Andrew Young Crossing (a few steps from this marker); Coquina in These Walls (a few steps from this marker);
Plaza Marker, Cannon Plaque, and 8-inch Columbiad image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Plaza Marker, Cannon Plaque, and 8-inch Columbiad
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish Public Well (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
More about this marker. The plaque is likely in error. These guns were not part of Fort Marion's armament before the Civil War (the date of manufacture rules that out). The columbiads were part of a batch produced for the Confederacy early in the Civil War.

According to reports, the fort contained only 8-inch howitzers (which are still at the fort today) and 32-pounder smoothbore guns, when recaptured by Federals in March 1862. The Federals may have captured the columbiads elsewhere and moved them to Fort Marion for safe-keeping.

Clearly the cannons were at Fort Marion after the war. However, their use by the Army after the war would be limited. The elevation system would require pre-Civil War carriages. Further, the guns were not constructed in the manner used by the regulation Federal 8-inch guns, and would be suspect when firing full charges.
 
8-inch Columbiad image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. 8-inch Columbiad
This gun bears the marks of Bellona Foundry (owned by Junius L. Archer who's initials appear on the trunnions). It was produced in 1861, weighed 8750 pounds, and assigned registry number 29.
Second 8-inch Columbiad image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
4. Second 8-inch Columbiad
Like its mate, this columbiad came from Bellona Foundry in 1861. Marks indicate its registry number as 27 with a weight of 8750 pounds. Also like the other columbiad, this cannon likely was not in St. Augustine before or during the Civil War.
Plaque on Second Columbiad image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
5. Plaque on Second Columbiad
The second columbiad is at the corner of St. George and King Streets.
Ratchet Elevation System image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
6. Ratchet Elevation System
The Confederate columbiads used the older ratchet system for elevation. During the Civil War the Federals replaced this system with a more easily handled method using sockets on the breech face.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46800

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022