Granger in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
According to local tradition a congregation known as the O'Possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858. During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the area. During the 1870s Macedonia developed into a thriving community consisting of the Macedonia Baptist Church, a Masonic lodge, a gin, a granary, and a general store.
A parcel of land which later included this cemetery was donated to the community by the S. A. Spiars family sometime prior to the first recorded burial here, that of J. C. Witt on April 22, 1874.
Macedonia residents and businesses began to disperse after the town of Granger was established about two miles east of here in the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in the early 1880s. Eventually, the last remaining physical evidence of the once-thriving community of Macedonia was this graveyard.
Macedonia Cemetery was abandoned until 1971, when descendants of people buried here formed a cemetery association to restore and preserve the graveyard. The cemetery remains in use and includes the burials of pioneers
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9294.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1881.
Location. 30° 41.465′ N, 97° 29.017′ W. Marker is in Granger, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on County Rd 376. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Granger TX 76530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A. A. & Mary Spacek House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Granger Brethren Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School (approx. 2.9 miles away); Brick Streets in Granger (approx. 2.9 miles away); Granger City Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away); Young House (approx. 3.2 miles away); Granger High School (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Granger.
Also see . . . Macedonia Cemetery. Williamson County Historical Commission (Submitted on March 18, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,514 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 11, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2. submitted on August 31, 2019, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3. submitted on January 11, 2008, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.