Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church
African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
— 728 23rd Street, NW —
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the African American Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1850.
Location. 38° 53.943′ N, 77° 3.018′ W. Marker is in Foggy BottomTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 728 23rd Street Northwest, Washington DC 20037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Mary's Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); Site of 2310 H Street, Northwest (within shouting distance of this marker); Philip S. Amsterdam Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Carol Brown Goldberg (within shouting distance of this marker); The American Meridian (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John A. Wilson, D.P.S. '92 (about 300 feet away); Liberty Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); Leonard A. Grimes (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
1. National Register of Historic Places:
St. Mary's Episcopal Church ** (added 1973 - - #73002118)
Also known as St. Mary's Chapel
• Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering
• Architect, builder, or engineer: Renwick,Aspinwall & Russell
• Architectural Style: Gothic
• Area of Significance: Architecture
• Period of Significance: 1875-1899
• Owner: Private
• Historic Function: Religion
• Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
• Current Function: Religion
Additional keywords. Reconstruction; "St. Mary's Episcopal Church - Foggy Bottom"
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 810 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 6, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.