Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Spring Branch in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Specht's Crossing

 
 
Specht's Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, September 5, 2011
1. Specht's Crossing Marker
Inscription.  Area settlers in horse-drawn carriages used this gravel bed low water crossing of the San Antonio-Blanco Road to reach the German settlement of Spring Branch. Despite frequent floods, use of the crossing increased during the years (1875-1906) Spring Branch postmaster Hans (Von) Specht maintained the post office in his hilltop home overlooking the crossing. Thereafter known as Specht's Crossing, it was later used by automobile travelers until replaced by a low water bridge in 1920. In 1934 a new bridge was constructed by the Civil Works Administration.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5006.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 29° 52.925′ N, 98° 27.033′ W. Marker is near Spring Branch, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Branch Road and Old Spring Branch Road, on the right when traveling east on Spring Branch Road. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 7200 Spring Branch Rd, Spring Branch TX 78070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adam Becker Homestead (approx. 0.9 miles away); Spring Branch Post Office (approx. 1.3 miles away); Herman and Ada Knibbe House (approx. 1˝ miles away); Esser's Crossing at Wesson (approx. 4.6 miles away); George Wilkins Kendall (approx. 7.4 miles away); Kendalia Community Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); The Engel Store (approx. 8.4 miles away); Saint Mary's Help of Christians Catholic Church (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spring Branch.
 
Marker in context image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, September 5, 2011
2. Marker in context
Spring Branch Road bridge over Guadalupe River in distance
Original Crossing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney
3. Original Crossing
The actual old crossing is a little ways downstream from the bridge ( lat/long 29.879965,-98.448186 ) shown here in this panorama from the other side of river (marker is on west bank; photo from east bank). Bridge is visible in distance, right side of photo.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,306 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46923

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 25, 2024