St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles
1519 - 1574
Governor and Captain General, Conquistador,
Adelantado in Perpetuity of Florida.
Founded St. Augustine September 8, 1565
* * * * * * * * * *
Statue was a gift of the people of the city of
Aviles, Spain to the people of St. Augustine.
* * * * * * *
Formal dedication ceremonies held September 8, 1972
Attended by distinguished delegations from
Spain and the United States
dedicated by the city commission
St. Augustine, Florida
the Ambassador of Spain to the U.S.
Menéndez Day Ceremony
February 15, 1978
after the death of
Conquistador and Adelantado
the City of Saint Augustine
Founded by Pedro Menendez de Aviles
on September 8, 1565
1574 Anno Domini 1924
Erected 1972 by City of Aviles, Spain.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1854.
Location. 29° 53.5′ N, 81° 18.847′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Alcazar Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Don Pedro Menendez De Aviles (a few steps from this marker); Hotel Alcazar (a few steps from this marker); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry M. Flagler (within shouting distance of this marker); Ponce de Leon Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Wing Loring (about 300 feet away); Tolomato Street (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Pedro Menéndez de Aviles. Wikipedia biography. One of the illustrations is a memorial, with statue, honoring Menendez in his home city of Aviles Spain. (Submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,176 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.