Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Andrew College

>>>---->

 
 
Andrew College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
1. Andrew College Marker
Inscription.  Cuthbert is the site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854. Named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife’s slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President - Augustus Alden, of Yale, a pioneer in Georgia for higher education.

The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65.

The first women’s college in the South to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867).

Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of educated, Christian womanhood.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 120-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1854.
 
Location. 31° 46.314′ N, 84° 47.72′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of College Street (U.S. 82) and Andrew Street, on the right when traveling west on College Street. The marker stands in front of the main building on the Andrew College campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hood Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. ¼ mile away); Shady Grove (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. 0.3 miles away); The City of Cuthbert and Early Randolph County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
 
Also see . . .
1. Andrew College. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 18, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 

2. James Osgood Andrew. Wikipedia biography. (Submitted on October 18, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Andrew College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
2. Andrew College Marker
Andrew College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
3. Andrew College Marker
Looking west on College Street, US Highway 82
Andrew College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
4. Andrew College Marker
The marker stands in front of the college.
Bishop James O. Andrew image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Larry Gertner
5. Bishop James O. Andrew
Andrew College image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
6. Andrew College
"Old Main," built in 1892 after the original college buildings burned. Money was raised by the residents of Cuthbert to replace the buildings.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on September 17, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   5. submitted on October 18, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   6. submitted on September 11, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47264

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024