Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines

 
 
Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker
Inscription.  The son of James Gaines, Revolutionary soldier and relative of five Presidents, General Gaines (1777–1849) was born in Virginia. From 1801 to 1804 he built the military highway from Nashville, Tenn., to Natchez, Miss. He made the arrest of Aaron Burr in 1807 and was a witness at his trial. For the defense of Fort Erie in 1814 against a long, heavy British attack, he was brevetted Major-General and given the thanks of Congress. He fought in the Seminole and Creek Wars and was in command of the Western Department of the Army in the Mexican War. A pioneer advocate of military highways and steamboat transportation, he was an American patriot.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & PatriotismWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, US RevolutionaryWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1801.
 
Location. 31° 36.248′ N, 85° 2.922′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Washington Street South (Georgia Route 39) 0 miles north of Hartford Road (Georgia Route 37), on the right when traveling north. The marker stands in front of the Clay County Courthouse in Fort Gaines. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 Washington Street S, Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clay County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Clay County (here, next to this marker); Queen City of the Chattahoochee (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines Guards (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Sites (about 700 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gaines (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Also see . . .  Edmund P. Gaines - Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 29, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
 
Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker
Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker
The front entrance to the Clay County Courthouse is in the background.
Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Matthew Brady
4. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines Marker
This portrait, from Wikipedia, was made by famed photographer Mathew Brady. It was published on the Alachua County (Florida) Library site, copied through the courtesy of Mrs. Helen Ellerbe.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,113 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47515

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024