Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Advanced Education Center
The Georgia Female College opened for its Spring Session with 148 pupils in this building, which became the President’s House after John B. Walker funded a three-story brick building to the right (burned 1882). The Madison Female College was also located in town but was also lost to fire in 1864.
A diverse curriculum attracted young women from as far as Philadelphia. Citizens supported the institutions with funding and provision of room and board. Both schools thrived until the outbreak of the Civil War, when the facilities were used as temporary hospitals. Post-war, private education never regained its former stature.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison Bicentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEntertainment • War, US Civil.
Location. 33° 35.483′ N, 83° 28.317′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 278) 0 miles west of Foster Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 472 South Main Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stoneman Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Joshua Hill Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The March to the Sea (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundation to Consolidation (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Town Commons (about 400 feet away); Formal Southern Landscapes (about 700 feet away); Early Religious Life (about 700 feet away); Antebellum Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Advanced Education Center. The marker stands in front of the Baldwin-Williford-Ruffin house (c.1850), originally the Georgia Female College, then the residence of the President of the College, now a private home.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 722 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 25, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.