Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Southport in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Johnston

 
 
Fort Johntson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
1. Fort Johntson Marker
Inscription.  
This tablet was erected May, 1911 by the North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America to mark the site of Fort Johnston, the first fort in the Province of North Carolina, built under Act of Assembly of 1745 and completed 1764, and named in honour of Governor Gabriel Johnston. The Patriots of the Cape Fear resisting the execution of the Stamp Act in 1766 forced the spiking of its 24 cannon, the gift of King George II.

The fort was the refuge of Governor Josiah Martin after his flight from New Bern, May 24, 1775 until he was compelled by the patriots to abandon it July 18, 1775, on which day it was destroyed and Royal Government in North Carolina ceased.
 
Erected 1911 by The North Carolina Society of Colonial Dames of America, Luola Murchison Sprunt, President; Gabrielle deR. Waddell, Vice President; Carrie E. Prince, Secretary.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location.
Fort Johntson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
2. Fort Johntson Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
33° 55.052′ N, 78° 1.043′ W. Marker is in Southport, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on East Bay Street east of South Davis Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Southport NC 28461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bald Head Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Josiah Martin (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnston (within shouting distance of this marker); (Map of the First 100 Lots) (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Jessie Stevens Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Johnston (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to North Carolina Militia (within shouting distance of this marker); Catalino Tingzon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southport.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Johnson. NCpedia entry (Submitted on February 7, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Fort Jackson Barracks Today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
3. Fort Jackson Barracks Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,911 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4754

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022