Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard
Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. Catharine C. Palmer donated this land to the congregation where they built a house of worship and consecrated it
in 1857. The frame building, moved on logs to Russell Street in 1895, was later enlarged and brick veneered; it is the oldest church building in Orangeburg. Stiles Mellichamp, rector during the 1860s and 1870s, is buried in the cemetery along with a number of Confederate soldiers and many communicants of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer.
Erected 1993 by St. Agnes Chapter Episcopal Church Women, the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer. (Marker Number 38-22.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1750.
Location. 33° 29.854′ N, 80° 51.357′ W. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Claflin College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil Rights Meetings / Sit-in March (about 500 feet away); Trinity United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); South Carolina State University (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Orangeburg Massacre (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Felton Training School & Teacherage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilkinson High School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.