Unity Presbyterian Church
This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned in 1804. A log church was built 5 blocks N, where the first church cemetery was laid out. That church burned in 1838, and the congregation moved to a site just E of the current location.
The second church cemetery, laid out nearby, became a municipal cemetery in the 1920s. The third sanctuary, a frame building, burned in 1880. A Romanesque Revival church built here in 1881, featuring a central bell tower, was constructed with bricks made from local clay. It and the historic cemeteries nearby were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. A new sanctuary was built here in 2010.
Erected 2010 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 46-49.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I Memorial (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Mill Confederate Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Women of the Confederacy Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Catawba Indian Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); To the Faithful Slaves (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis's Flight South, April 26-27, 1865 (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Mill.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.