Pocotaligo in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Battle of Pocotaligo
(Back Side): The Confederates with only 475 men in the immediate vicinity when the day began, delayed the Federals in engagements at Caston's Plantation until 200 reinforcements arrived by train. Most of the fighting centered around Pocataligo Bridge, and by dusk the Federals withdrew toward Port Royal having done only minimal damage to the Charleston & Savannah Railroad.
Erected 2002 by S.C. Society Of The Military Order Of The Stars and Bars. (Marker Number 27-22.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1864.
Location. 32° 37.919′ N, 80° 52.553′ W. Marker is in Pocotaligo, South Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yemassee SC 29945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Robert E. Lee (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); " The Frampton Line " (approx. ¼ mile away); Southern Live Oak Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); The Frampton Lines / John Edward Frampton House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Coosawhatchie (approx. 4.2 miles away); Coosawhatchie (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sheldon Union Academy (approx. 4.7 miles away); Prince William's Parish Church (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Regarding The Battle of Pocotaligo. Pocotaligo being on the Charleston and Savannah railroad, the only railroad in this section of the country at this time. The modern railroad bed runs generally north-south about a mile west of the marker location.
1. 1845 Pocataligo
I have an 1845 map of Colleton District with Walterborough, Red Bank and Pocataligo in Prince William District as the only settlements. A road ran from St George south to Red Bank (Canadys Crossroads) and on to Walterborough and south to Collins X-roads
As such, Pocatalico was the biggest settlement in the south-west part of Prince William District at this time before 1850. The road west went to Savannah, while the road east went to St George up north, or to Jacksonboro and Charleston to the east.
— Submitted July 26, 2018, by tom Fetters of Lombard, Illinois.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 7,294 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.