Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Chicago Board of Trade's Statues
Symbolizing Agriculture and Industry
Forest Preserve District official uncovered the twelve-foot, five and one-half ton granite statues at Hidden Lake Forest Preserve near Downers Grove, Illinois in 1978. The forest preserve was the former estate of Arthur Cutten, a prominent Chicago Board of Trade speculator of the early 1900’s. How the statues made the journey from LaSalle Street to the Cutten estate is a mystery.
Now a part of the LaSalle Street Plaza, the exchange’s symbolic statues serve as daily reminders of the vitality and creativity that fuel growth of the city of Chicago and the Chicago Board of Trade.
Rededicated June 9, 2005 by the Chicago Board of Trade
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Art Deco series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 9, 1906.
Location. 41° 52.676′ N, 87° 37.911′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on West Jackson Boulevard near South LaSalle Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in LaSalle Street Plaza. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago IL 60604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Standard Time System in the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); Rookery Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Jewish House of Worship (about 400 feet away); Continental and Commercial Bank Building (about 500 feet away); Brooks Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dearborn Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); State Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harold Washington (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 1, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.