Newburyport in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1635.
Location. 42° 48.707′ N, 70° 52.239′ W. Marker is in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Merrimac St., on the left when traveling east. This marker is at the side of the "Newburyport Firehouse", a popular and well-known civic center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newburyport MA 01950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Newburyport Firehouse Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Tea Burning (within shouting distance of this marker); Coast Guard Bicentennial Marker (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newburyport Custom House (about 700 feet away); The Memory of the Officers and Men (about 800 feet away); William Lloyd Garrison (about 800 feet away); Newburyport Sailor's Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dalton House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburyport.
Also see . . . Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on October 14, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 906 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.