Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scituate in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Third Cliff

1630 - 1930

 
 
Third Cliff Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger W. Sinnott, August 27, 2010
1. Third Cliff Marker
Inscription.  The first plantations at "Satuit" were laid out by the Men of Kent before 1628 on this cliff, which was then much more extensive.
 
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1628.
 
Location. 42° 10.475′ N, 70° 42.893′ W. Marker is in Scituate, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Collier Road (a one-way street) and Cliff Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Collier Road (a one-way street). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scituate MA 02066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Meeting House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of the First Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Men of Kent Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mann Historical Museum (approx. 1.3 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); First Training Field (approx. 1.4 miles away); Satuit Brook (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Stockbridge Grist Mill (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site of Stockbridge Mansion (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scituate.
 
Regarding Third Cliff. The first European settlers at Scituate, Massachusetts, 16 miles north of Plymouth, were called the Men of Kent for the county in England whence they came. Satuit is the archaic spelling of the town’s name, which comes from the Wampanoag language.
 
Also see . . .  Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 
 
Wide View of Third Cliff Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger W. Sinnott, August 27, 2010
2. Wide View of Third Cliff Marker
In this south-facing view shortly after sunrise, the mouth of North River can be seen in the distance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 27, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,141 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 27, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48038

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 26, 2024