Rock Port in Atchison County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Here on Rock Creek in Missouri's fertile Glacial Plains, Rock Port was laid out, 1851, by Nathan Meek and succeeded Linden as seat of Atchison County, 1856. A leader in corn production, the county, organized 1845, is named for U.S. Sen. David R. Atchison.
In extreme northwest Missouri, Atchison is one of 6 counties formed from the Platte Indian Purchase annexed to Missouri in 1837. The county's north boundary was unsettled until 1851 when the U.S. Supreme Court had the Mo.-Iowa boundary marked. To the west, the Mo. River channel separates the county from Nebraska. In 1867, the river altered its course at one spot and the Supreme Court ruled the abandoned channel the boundary in 1904, thus giving land east of the river to Nebraska. In 1957, Mo. and Nebr. agreed to reestablish the river boundary at this spot.
The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped along the Missouri in what is now Atchison County, 1804, and Clark, impressed by the bare hills rising from the river plain, named the area "Baldpated Prairie." Lewis explored nearby Nishnabotna (Indian - Canoe making) River and called the country handsome.
(Continued from other side)
Rock Port, the seat of Atchison County, serves an area first settled by H. B. Roberts and Thomas Wilson, 1839, and listed in 1950 as having the highest valued farm land and buildings in Missouri. Early settlements near here included a short-lived German Colony, 1846-47, directed by Cornelius Schubert.
In the Civil War, Rock Port and Atchison County were at times subjected to guerrilla raids and troop movements. It was not until 1881, when two railroads were built through the county, that prosperity was assured. In 1880, Tarkio, the county's largest town was laid out by Charles Perkins on Tarkio (Indian - Walnut) River. Tarkio (Presbyterian) College was founded there in 1883-85.
Rock Port was first incorporated in 1855 as Rockport and this form of spelling has also been used. In town is the County World War I Memorial Building. The Brownville Mo. River Bridge (1940), between Mo. and Nebr., is owned by the county. Associated with county growth are Henry F. Stapel, Rock Port editor, a pioneer in mutual insurance movement; and David Rankin, noted farmer and pioneer in the settlement of Tarkio.
Erected 1957 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 40° 25.022′ N, 95° 31.007′ W. Marker is in Rock Port, Missouri, in Atchison County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 136 and Market Street, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 136. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 West 4th Street, Rock Port MO 64482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atchison County Walk of Honor (approx. 0.4 miles away); Atchison County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 8½ miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Rock Port, Missouri. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Rock Port, Missouri. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. David Atchison, President for a Day. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. Henry F. Stapel and Mutual Insurance. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
5. Henry F. Stapel in 1901 Biographical History of Nodaway and Atchison Counties, Missouri. (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Rock Port.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.