Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Hart House

 
 
Hart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Hart House Marker
Inscription.  Built by John Hart about 1850, the Hart House is recognized as an outstanding example of pure Greek Revival architecture. Hart (c. 1805-1863) moved from New Hampshire and became a prominent merchant and farmer. When constructed, the house was on the western edge of the town. The Hart House was one of only five Eufaula buildings recorded by the Historic American Building Survey in 1935. It was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1973 as part of the Seth Lore Historic District. The building was purchased by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission for use as its headquarters on October 16, 1985.
 
Erected 1986 by Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1854.
 
Location. 31° 53.683′ N, 85° 8.746′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on North Eufaula Avenue (U.S. 431) 0.1 miles north of Broad Street, in the median
Hart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Hart House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Eufaula Avenue, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vietnam Veteran Park (about 600 feet away); Chauncey Sparks (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Honor of All World War II Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away); The St. Julian Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eufaula First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); World War I Doughboy (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church of Eufaula (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
 
More about this marker. The Hart House stands on the east side of North Eufaula Avenue, opposite the marker.
 
Hart House Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Hart House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 999 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48376

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 19, 2022