Battle of Plattsburgh Bay
Macdonough's fleet was built none too soon as American General Alexander Macomb faced reinforced British forces gathering for a land invasion of Plattsburgh. On the morning of September 11, 1814, British Captain George Downie brought his warships around Cumberland Head to aid in the invasion and found Macdonough's warships already anchored upwind in the bay. The ensuing battle took place in close quarters which gave Macdonough's carronade-equipped vessels an advantage over the British ships' heavier guns.
The Battle lasted about two and a half hours and cost the lives of 143 men who were buried on nearby Crab Island. Its decisive outcome effectively ended the war.
Erected by Lake Champlain Historic Landings Heritage Trail, Lake
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War of 1812 • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is September 11, 1889.
Location. 44° 41.615′ N, 73° 26.755′ W. Marker is in Plattsburgh, New York, in Clinton County. Marker can be reached from Hamilton Street just from Club Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plattsburgh NY 12901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Zephaniah Platt Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Chapel (approx. ¼ mile away); First Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Officers' Mess Plattsburgh Barracks (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Brown (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Ark (approx. 0.4 miles away); U.S. Fort Brown (approx. half a mile away); MacDonough Monument (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plattsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 691 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 17, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.