Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Randolph County's First “College for Females”

1852 - 1907

 
 
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
1. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Inscription.  The Baptist Bethel Association, meeting in Benevolence in 1851, resolved to undertake “The Creation of an Educational Institution for Females, to be called THE BAPTIST FEMALE COLLEGE OF SOUTHWESTERN GEORGIA.” This site, in the little village of Villa Nova, was chosen for its location. Rev. Thos. Muse served two years as Agent, raising funds, promoting plans, shaping policies. A handsome, colonnaded building was erected here and Rev. A. T. Holmes made first President. School opened in the Fall of 1852. The first Trustees were Jesse H. Campbell, James Clark, Francis Seig, William Janes, Ebenezer Warren, Roger Dickinson, John Wilson, William Wade, Joel Perry, Thomas Muse, William L. Crawford, Richard Thornton, John Fletcher, David Vason, Jesse Stallings. Closed by war, 1863, it served as the Hill Hospital of the Confederacy (1864-65). In 1880’s as a branch of Georgia’s University system, it became The Bethel Agricultural and Military College. Destroyed by fire in 1901, this property was sold, another site bought and a new building erected. In 1907, Bethel Association sold that second property to the City of Cuthbert for operation of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Cuthbert’s first Public School.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 120-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 31° 46.564′ N, 84° 48.114′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Villa Nova Street, 0 miles north of Randolph Street, on the left when traveling north. The marker is in the 400 block of Villa Nova Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Andrew College (approx. half a mile away); Hood Hospital (approx. half a mile away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Confederate Dead and Hospitals (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.7 miles away); Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away); Shady Grove (approx. ¾ mile away); The City of Cuthbert and Early Randolph County (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
 
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
2. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
3. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Looking south in the 400 block of Villa Nova Street toward College Street (US Highway 82)
Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 15, 2011
4. Randolph County's First “College for Females” Marker
Looking north in the 400 nlock of Villa Nova Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 24, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48695

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024