Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danvers in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Salem Village Parsonage

1681

 
 
Salem Village Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Tiernan, November 27, 2010
1. Salem Village Parsonage Marker
(aka Samuel Parris Archaeological Site)
Inscription.  
In 1681 the Salem village inhabitants built a home for their minister at this site. Ministers residing here were George Burroughs (1681-83), Accused in 1692 of being a witch and hanged; Deodat Lawson (1684-88), Author of the first volume about Salem village witchcraft; Samuel Parris (1689-96), Minister during the witchcraft hysteria; Joseph Green (1698-1715), noted diarist and area peacemaker, Peter Clark (1717-68), famed theological author, and Benjamin Wadsworth (1772-1826), who tore down the old parsonage in 1784.

It was in this house in 1692 that Tituba, Rev. Parris' slave, told the girls of the household stories of witchcraft which nurtured the village witchcraft hysteria and resulted in the deaths of 23 persons. This house was the scene of many incidents during the hysteria, and is one of the most important sites in colonial American history. Archaeological excavation began here in 1970
 
Erected 1974 by Danvers Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1681.
 
Location.
Salem Village Parsonage Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Tiernan, November 27, 2010
2. Salem Village Parsonage Marker
This is the actual archaeological site. The primary marker can be seen here on the left. The three areas of interest are hard to see but are surrounded by stones and shown in subsequent photos.
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 33.98′ N, 70° 57.721′ W. Marker is in Danvers, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Centre St. This marker is at the actual archaeological area itself which is at the end of the pathway leading from the main street (Centre St). While is a traveled pathway, it is not smooth terrain and may be a problem for foot traffic with limited mobility. I cannot say that this area is wheelchair accessible but it seems like a wheelchair may be able to traverse the area with only a minor problem. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danvers MA 01923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1681 Salem Village Parsonage (here, next to this marker); The 1734 Addition (here, next to this marker); Samuel Parris Archaeological Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church in Salem Village (about 700 feet away); Deacon Nathaniel Ingersoll (about 700 feet away); Village Training Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Village Meeting House (approx. ¼ mile away); Salem Village Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danvers.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Additional keywords. Witch, Witch
Salem Village Parsonage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Tiernan, November 27, 2010
3. Salem Village Parsonage
Here you can see the first two of three areas that have been excavated. Each of these areas have their own markers describing the site. They will be attached to this entry. The second area (to the left in this photo) is the "1734 Addition".
Trial, Salem Witch Trial
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,949 times since then and 143 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48720

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 1, 2022