Danvers in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The 1681 Salem Village Parsonage
In February, 1681, the Salem village inhabitants voted, "We will build a house for the Ministry and provid convenient Land for that end. The Dementions of the House are as followeth: 42 foot long; twenty foot Broad; thirteen foot stude: Fouer chimleis no gable ends."
The house faced south and included a half-cellar on its west side which was composed of dry laid fieldstones, and which was entered by means of a stairway from the porch (front entry). The east side of the house did not include a cellar, the house sills resting on ground stones. The first floor consisted of two rooms separated by the front entry and a massive brick chimney structure. Two bed chambers were located on the second floor. Each of the house's four rooms included a fireplace. By 1692 a "saltbox" leanto was attached to the rear of the house, and used as a kitchen.
Rev. George Burroughs first lived in this house followed by Rev. Deodat Lawson. In 1689 Rev. Samuel Parris, his wife Elizabeth, daughter Elizabeth, and nice Abigail Williams came to live here.
Continued to be occupied by the Salem Village and Danvers ministers, the 1681 parsonage was finally torn down in 1784, and the land reverted to a pasture.
By 1970 the property was owned by Alfred and Edie Anne Hutchinson, who were approached by history student Richard B Trask with a proposal to find and excavate the site. The resulting "Danvers Dig" was accomplished through the efforts of numerous volunteers assisted by archaeologist Roland Wells Robbins. In 1988, with state assistance, the Town of Danvers purchased the site as an historic landmark.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1681.
Location. 42° 33.981′ N, 70° 57.719′ W. Marker is in Danvers, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Centre Street. This marker is attached to the larger of the two cellars in the excavation. (Right hand side.) Marker is between Prince and Hobart Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danvers MA 01923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1734 Addition (here, next to this marker); Salem Village Parsonage Samuel Parris Archaeological Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church in Salem Village (about 700 feet away); Deacon Nathaniel Ingersoll (about 700 feet away); Village Training Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Village Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Village Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danvers.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. Witch, Witch Trial, Salem Witch Trial
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 2,554 times since then and 201 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on November 29, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.