“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danvers in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)

The 1734 Addition

The 1734 Addition Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Tiernan, December 3, 2010
1. The 1734 Addition Marker
Inscription.  {Not all text on marker is transcribed here.}

In 1717 Rev. Peter Clark became minister at Salem Village. The 1681 parsonage was in poor condition, so that by the early 1730's Clark asked the inhabitants to come to a decision either to build a new house or renovate the old one. In January, 1734 the inhabitants voted to remove the leanto and to build an addition on the back west side of the parsonage.

This new addition was two and one-half stories high, included a side door which faced the west and a roof which ran perpendicular to the 1681 parsonage. The cellar foundation was composed of cut and faced stones and included a jog for a chimney.

Rev. Clark used this addition as a study, and it was here that he composed many of his sermons and printed theological works. Samuel Holten, later to become an important political figure as a member and as a signer of the Articles of Confederation, spent four of his formative years here with Rev. Clark, learning under the minister's tutelage.

At the time of the Revolution, Rev. Benjamin
The 1734 Addition Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Michael Tiernan, November 27, 2010
2. The 1734 Addition Marker
This is a view of the cellar of the addition described in the marker. The primary cellar of the parsonage can be seen in the lower right side of the photo.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Wadsworth resided here as minister of the Danvers First Church. Wadsworth responded with a musket to the Salem Alarm of February 26, 1775; and upon news of the Lexinton Alarm on April 19, 1775, he gave benediction to the Danvers minutemen prior to their march.

By 1784 the parsonage was in terrible condition, and the parish was unable to pay for a new home. Upon being given land west of this site, Wadsworth built himself a new house. The 1681 parsonage was torn down, most of the foundation stones removed, and the 1734 addition was eventually sold and moved.

According to famed author Nathaniel Hawthorne, the workers had great difficulty moving the addition. They were informed by an old resident that the house was still under the influence of the devil, and would remain so unless the roof was taken off. Finally the roof was removed and the house successfully moved. It remained on a Sylvan Street site until the 1870's.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1734.
Location. 42° 33.981′ N, 70° 57.719′ W. Marker is in Danvers, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Centre Street. Marker is between Prince and Hobart Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danvers MA 01923, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
distance of this marker. The 1681 Salem Village Parsonage (here, next to this marker); Salem Village Parsonage (here, next to this marker); Samuel Parris Archaeological Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church in Salem Village (about 700 feet away); Deacon Nathaniel Ingersoll (about 700 feet away); Village Training Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Village Meeting House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Salem Village Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danvers.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Additional keywords. Witch, Witch Trial, Salem Witch Trial
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,336 times since then and 76 times this year. Last updated on October 25, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2010, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Sep. 27, 2022