Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Thorp in Clark County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony

 
 
St. Hedwig's Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
1. St. Hedwig's Marker
[north side of marker]
Inscription.  
St. Hedwig's
In 1891, a wooden church was built and named St. Hedwig's for a queen of Poland. In 1904, the present-day structure was built and accommodated the growing congregation with seating for 700 people. Members of the congregation furnished labor and contributed artistic talent. Some families took out second mortgages on their farms to help pay for the cost of the new building.

Poznan Colony
As the lumber industry waned in the late 1880s, Polish land agents hoped to entice immigrant farmers to purchase the "fertile farmland" of the cutover area. Around 1889, Polish immigrants from the west central region of Poznan settled the area east of Thorp. The community also built Poznan School, a two-room public school.

Erected 2011
Wisconsin Historical Society

 
Erected 2011 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 537.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
 
Location. 44° 57.671′ N, 90° 45.637′ W. Marker is near Thorp, Wisconsin, in Clark County. Marker is on Gorman Avenue, 0.1 miles north of County Highway X, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N14921 Gorman Avenue, Thorp WI 54771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Worden Church of the Brethren (approx. 8.1 miles away); D.R. Moon Memorial Library (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Yellowstone Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); Veteran's Memorial (approx. 8.6 miles away); M-1900 Seacoast Ordnance (approx. 8.7 miles away); Mormon Settlements (approx. 15.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. St. Hedwig's Catholic Church. Photos. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.) 

2. Polish American. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.)
3. St. Hedwig. (Submitted on October 26, 2011.)
 
Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
2. Poznan Colony Marker
[south side of marker]
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
3. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
4. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
Bell Tower and Commemorative Tablet
St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
5. St. Hedwig's / Poznan Colony Marker
Gorman Avenue
St. Hedwig's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
6. St. Hedwig's Church
St. Hedwig's Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
7. St. Hedwig's Church
The church is no longer in use.
Commemorative Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
8. Commemorative Tablet
[east side]
In days past these bells, once a familiar part of daily life, resounded with clarity throughout the countryside summoning to prayer our faithful ancestors who through innumerable sacrifices brought them to this holy site. The bells will continue to bear witness as a silent testimonial enshrining all that which was, which is, and which will continue to take place on this hallowed ground. Immeasurable gratitude is acknowledged to the triune God, St. Hedwig, our patroness, and to all those who helped to achieve this lasting tribute.
Commemorative Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By K. Linzmeier, October 22, 2011
9. Commemorative Tablet
[west side]
Sept. 27, 1891 Wooden Catholic church consecrated to St. Hedwig • Nov. 27, 1904 Cornerstone laid for new brick church • Nov. 13, 1907 Church completed • Dec. 8, 1907 First mass offered • Dec. 10, 1914 Bells blessed • June 6, 1970 Last mass offered • Sept. 6, 1993 Bell tower dedicated • Aug. 28, 1994 Dedication of commemorative marker •
Kościoł Sw. Jadwigi 1904
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,323 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 26, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=48771

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024