Winchester in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of First House
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1640.
Location. 42° 27.116′ N, 71° 8.171′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Converse Place, on the left when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester MA 01890, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Converse Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Symmes Farm (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Harvard's Land (approx. 1.2 miles away); Old Middlesex Canal Woburn (approx. 2.1 miles away); Molyneaux Circle (approx. 2.3 miles away); “Grandfather’s House” (approx. 2.6 miles away); Captain Isaac Hall Hitching Post (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . .
1. Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930). Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
2. Winchester Historical Society. The mission of the Winchester Historical Society is to promote an awareness of Winchester’s rich history and share it with the community. The Society achieves its mission by collecting and preserving historic records and artifacts related to Winchester; by its educational programs, exhibitions, and publications; and through its stewardship of the Sanborn Historical and Cultural Center, which serves as the home for the Society and is open to the community for exhibits, meetings, and events. (Submitted on September 10, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 650 times since then and 95 times this year. Last updated on October 26, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photo 1. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.