About This Fountain…
This beautiful, ornamental water fountain was built in the early 1900s as part of the Bay Shore Amusement Park. Operating between 1906-1947, the park was located on approximately 20 acres of property in this area. The primary purpose of the fountain was to spray the iron well water used throughout the park, in an effort to relieve the natural undesirable taste and color.
The fountain, as seen in this photograph, also provided a place of picturesque beauty for all of the park's visitors, who strolled and relaxed around it meticulously manicured gardens and flowerbed-lined sidewalks.
Presently undergoing restoration efforts, the fountain will once again provide a focal point of beauty and history for the new North Point State Park nucleus. Restoration efforts are made possible through the leadership of Honorary Ranger Steve Takos Sr, and other North Point State Park volunteers, staff, and the business community.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Rebirth of a Maryland Historical Treasure (within shouting distance of this marker); The Trolley Station at Bayshore Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Dreaded Alarm (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hard Travel (about 700 feet away); John Smith Explores the Chesapeake (about 700 feet away); Wetlands (approx. half a mile away); The Presbytery of Baltimore (approx. 0.8 miles away); A Heavy Price (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edgemere.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 2, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on November 2, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.