Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Chippawa in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada (North America)
 

Fort Chippawa 1791

 
 
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
1. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
Inscription.  The fortifications which stood on this site were built in 1791 to protect the southern terminus of the Niagara portage road, and serve as a forwarding depot for government supplies. Known also as Fort Welland, the main structure consisted of a log blockhouse surrounded by a stockade. During the War of 1812 several bloody engagements were fought in this vicinity including the bitterly contested Battle of Chippawa, July 5, 1814, and possession of the fort frequently changed hands. A barracks, storehouse, officers' quarters and earthworks were added in 1814-15, but shortly thereafter Fort Chippawa was abandoned and fell into decay.
 
Erected by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesWar of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is July 5, 1813.
 
Location. 43° 3.773′ N, 79° 3.021′ W. Marker is near Chippawa, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Parkway and Macklem Street, on the right when traveling north on Niagara
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Parkway. This historical marker is located on the Canadian side of the Niagara River, in a community park on the northern side of the mouth of the Welland River. The historical marker is situated near the front parking lot for King's Bridge Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chippawa ON L2G 6C7, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813 (here, next to this marker); The Founding of Chippawa (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Church of the Holy Trinity (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Old Stone Chimney (approx. 1.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); The Niagara River Portage and the Old Stone Chimney (approx. 1.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Niagara River Overlook (approx. 1.9 kilometers away in the U.S.); Stranded Scow (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippawa.
 
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
2. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
View of featured historical marker on the right and of the adjacent historical marker, "Raid on Fort Schlosser 1813," situated between the edge of the parking lot and the north bank of the Welland River.
Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dale K. Benington, July 28, 2011
3. Fort Chippawa 1791 Marker
View looking east, towards the Niagara River, of the featured historical marker, situated on the edge of the parking lot for King's Bridge Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 5, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 10, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49164

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024