Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Bridge 1834

 
 
Site of Bridge 1834 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, October 20, 2007
1. Site of Bridge 1834 Marker
Inscription.  
Built by
Thomas Fealy
Lieut. Jno. Pickell
U.S. Engineer
H. M. Pettit
Ass’t Supd’t.

 
Erected 1955 by City of Cumberland Bicentennial.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles.
 
Location. 39° 39.769′ N, 78° 46.856′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is on National Highway (U.S. 40), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10307 National Highway, Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Narrows (a few steps from this marker); “The Narrows” (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Narrows (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); To The Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civil War Soldiers Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); 617 Washington Street (approx. ¾ mile away); 632 Washington Street (approx. ¾ mile away); 615 Washington Street (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
 
Side view of marker, looking north image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck
2. Side view of marker, looking north
"The Narrows" marker can be seen in distance.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The new bridge image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck
3. The new bridge
This 1930s bridge replaced the stone bridge referred to on the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 23, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,540 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 23, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4928

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 9, 2022