Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wilson’s Store

Store of Three Wonders

— The Historic National Road - The Road That Built The Nation —

 
 
Wilson's Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, October 20, 2007
1. Wilson's Store Marker
Inscription.  "You wonder if we have it. We wonder where it is. You wonder how we found it!” That is how Janice Keefer remembered her father’s store during the 42 years that Dorsey Martin conducted business here. Originally opened by Rufus Wilson in 1850, the store remained in continuous operation for National Road travelers until it closed in 1975. In 1983, Frances and Lewis Horst rescued the Wilson store and school house, and have restored them to their heyday splendor.

(Sidebar): The Last One-Room School House
Rufus Wilson constructed a one-room school in 1857 to ensure his son received an education. The school operated for 98 years. Maria Angle, a native of Clear Spring, taught grades 1-7 here from 1913-1916. She recalled that she taught 30 students each year but seldom had discipline problems. “Most of the children were from farm families. I didn’t attempt to smack any of them, for they were all larger than I was.”
 
Erected by America's Byways.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
 
Location. 39° 39.393′ N, 77° 51.081′ W. Marker is in Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Rufus Wilson Road, on the right when traveling west. This is Wayside 34 on the Historic National Road in Maryland. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14921 Rufus Wilson Road, Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); Wilson Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Wilson Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); “The Bank Road” (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 0.8 miles away); Miller's Tavern & Spickler's Buggy Factory (approx. 0.8 miles away); Shielding the Army (approx. 2.7 miles away); Capt. Samuel G. Prather (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clear Spring.
 
More about this marker. A drawing of the store as it looked in the early 20th century and a portrait of Wilson are in the lower left side of the marker. "Rufus Hillery Wilson began construction
Wilson's one room school image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, October 20, 2007
2. Wilson's one room school
of his store while working at Huyett's Mill, just north of the Wilson Bridge. He died of pneumonia in 1883, and his son took over the operation of the store until 1919." In the sidebar is a Winslow Homer painting of children at play at a schoolhouse. The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this series. An elevation diagram of the national road is displayed on the bottom of the marker's face.
 
Wilson’s Store Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, October 19, 2012
3. Wilson’s Store Marker
Wilson's Store with Gettysburg and Wilson's Store markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, March 2, 2008
4. Wilson's Store with Gettysburg and Wilson's Store markers
Wilson's Store image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, October 20, 2007
5. Wilson's Store
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2024. It was originally submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,911 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3. submitted on October 26, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland.   4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   5. submitted on January 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=4932

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024