Southport in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1994 by the Southport Historical Society, on March 12.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, World II • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the US Navy Armed Guard series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1909.
Location. 33° 55.02′ N, 78° 1.104′ W. Marker is in Southport, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on East Bay Street near South Howe Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Southport NC 28461, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. (Map of the First 100 Lots) (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Jessie Stevens Taylor (within shouting distance of this marker); Bald Head Lighthouse Fort Johnston (about 400 feet away); Josiah Martin (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Johnston (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Johnston (about 500 feet away); Memorial to North Carolina Militia (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Southport.
Also see . . . A Night to Remember — Survivors, town look back at WWII sinking of John D. Gill. (Submitted on January 17, 2008.)
Additional keywords. United States Merchant Marine; Filipino
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,154 times since then and 49 times this year. Last updated on January 25, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. It was the Marker of the Week January 20, 2008. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.