East Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dance Gun Shop
Near site of Dance Gun Shop. Started on Brazos River in 1850 by brothers J.H., George, and David Dance. Shop produced guns which helped arm the Confederacy during Civil War, 1861-65. The firearms were noted for precision. Shop also made machinery for grist mills, cotton gins, sugar refineries, and sawmills.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9553.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 29° 8.382′ N, 95° 37.05′ W. Marker is in East Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on Jaggard Road (County Road 703) 0.1 miles south of Austin Street (County Road 300E), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Columbia Blues" (here, next to this marker); Aldridge - Smith House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sweeny-Waddy Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Tyler-Bryan-Weems House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ammon Underwood House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bell's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); East Columbia Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.L. Weems House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,251 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 20, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on July 17, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.