Guilderland Center in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
later the home of
Barent Mynderse, Lieut.
in War of Revolution
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1734.
Location. 42° 42.133′ N, 73° 57.769′ W. Marker is in Guilderland Center, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 429 Route 146, Guilderland Center NY 12085, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. House Built 1802 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palatine Road (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Normanskill (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Meeting (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Vale of Tawasentha (approx. 1.3 miles First Reformed Dutch Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); French's Hollow (approx. 1˝ miles away); Farm of Evert Bancker (approx. 1.7 miles away).
Regarding Freeman House. This exceptional Dutch Colonial house was built by or for Robert Freeman in the 1730's. It originally planned as two rooms with loft above. By the middle of the 18th century Barent Mynderse added the room to the west and raised the roof to a full second story. The original integrity of the house has been maintained throughout, and the development of the house is evident in the detailing used at different periods. This is one of the finest and earliest Colonial buildings in the Town. The Freeman House was listed on the New York State and the National Registers of Historic Places for its historic and architectural significance on November 10, 1982.
Also see . . . Freeman House - National Archives. National Register of Historic Places documentation (Submitted on November 14, 2023, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 14, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 21, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 21, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.