Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hiram in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs.

 
 
George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2009
1. George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker
Inscription.  May 25, 1864. Maj. Gen P. R. Cleburne’s div. marched with Hardee’s A.C. [CS] from New Hope Church May 24th, to Power Springs.

These troops, the left flank of Johnson’s Army, marched S.E. to find the position of the Federals known to be near Dallas. Recalled from Powder Springs, the corps counter-marched at 3 a.m., May 25th.

Enroute back toward Dallas, Cleburne’s div detoured N. from the Henry Lester house & camped at Darby’s until dark, when it was ordered to New Hope Ch. where Hood’s A.C. [CS] had been fighting the 20th A.C. [US] that P.M.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 110-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 25, 1833.
 
Location. 33° 54.3′ N, 84° 44.961′ W. Marker is in Hiram, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Hiram-Douglasville Highway (Georgia Route 92) 0 miles north of Darby's Crossing Drive, on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north. The marker stands in front of the Darby's Crossing strip mall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hiram GA 30141, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site: Colley House Hood’s H’dq’rs (approx. 0.3 miles away); Henry Lester House (approx. one mile away); Site: Robertson House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Polk’s Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Hiram Rosenwald School (approx. 1.8 miles away); Eight Point Star (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lost Mountain Cross-Roads (approx. 3.6 miles away); Johnston's Headquarters (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hiram.
 
George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2009
2. George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker
The Darby's Crossing strip mall was built on the site of the Darby house.
George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2009
3. George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker
Looking south of Georgia Highway 92, toward U.S. Highway 278.
George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 4, 2009
4. George Darby House Cleburne’s H’dq’rs. Marker
Looking north on Georgia Highway 92; Georgia Highway 360 is 1/4 mile distant.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,393 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on November 26, 2011, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 12, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=49846

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 19, 2024