Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Melbourne in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Campbell Park

 
 
Campbell Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Cox, November 27, 2011
1. Campbell Park Marker
Inscription.  
Many acres in this area were originally owned by Peter Wright a black man and one of the first settlers of this area. He sold his property to Thomas Mason, an English recluse, who later sold the property to Richard W. Goode for $110.

The property became grounds of the Goode House (a hotel), later renamed the Bellevue Hotel (located where the Orange Spot Apartments are now).

About 1924 the Flatiron Building was erected. Part of the property was deeded to the city for a street, and this triangular point of land began to sprout trees, checker players and horseshoe pitchers. Later, band concerts, political rallies, auctions, gopher races and marbles were enjoyed here.

William C. Campbell, owner of the property in 1928 gave the land to the city for a park.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
 
Location. 28° 4.694′ N, 80° 36.305′ W. Marker is in Melbourne, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of New Haven Avenue and Melbourne Court, on the right when traveling east on New Haven Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melbourne FL 32901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Myles Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Florida East Coast Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); History of the 1900 Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Congregational Church of Melbourne (about 700 feet away); Tin Can Tourist Campground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carleton Hotel - Idlewylde Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Trysting Steps and Bluff Walk (approx. ¼ mile away); Front Street (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne.
 
Campbell Park and Flatiron Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jamie Cox, November 27, 2011
2. Campbell Park and Flatiron Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2011, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,052 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 9, 2011, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50309

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024