Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Louisville in Winston County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jeff Lovorn, November 22, 2011
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1839 by Scottish-Irish settlers. Built in 1845, the sanctuary is the original church structure. According to local tradition, the church bell, cast in 1851 by the Andrew Meneely and Sons Foundry of West Troy, New York, was used to alert the citizens of Louisville to the approach of Col. Benjamin Grierson's Union calvary raid on April 22, 1863. In 1973, First Presbyterian Church became a charter member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
 
Erected 2007 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1930.
 
Location. 33° 7.353′ N, 89° 3.186′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Mississippi, in Winston County. Marker is at the intersection of South Columbus Avenue and East Park Street, on the left when traveling south on South Columbus Avenue. Touch for map.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is at or near this postal address: 844 South Columbus Avenue, Louisville MS 39339, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winston County Soldiers Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Winston County War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Grierson's Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carl Jackson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Community House (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Big Iron” and Camp Palila (approx. 2.1 miles away); Legion Lodge (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bethsalem Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 12, 2024
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 715 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 10, 2011, by Jeff Lovorn of Florence, Mississippi.   2. submitted on April 7, 2024, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50327

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024