Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hupp’s Hill

 
 
Hupp's Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
1. Hupp's Hill Marker
Inscription.  Part of a 1,000 acre estate begun by George F. Hupp in the 1750s. Hupp's Hill and buildings further south were used as a headquarters by federal generals Nathaniel Banks and James Shields during Stonewall Jackson's 1862 Valley Campaign. The site was first fortified by confederate forces in 1863.

The federal VIIIth Corps used the hill to conceal its movement on the night of 21-22 September 1864 preliminary to the federal victory at Fisher's Hill.

Also in 1864, elements of Kershaw's confederate division fought a sharp skirmish just to the north with part of the VIIIth Corps on 13 October. The hill sheltered Wharton's Division of Early's army just prior to the confederate 19 October attack on Cedar Creek. Later that morning it was the site from which Early's artillery opened fire on withdrawing federals. These positions were the point of the last organized resistance on the night of 19 October. The Hill was fortified by the 2nd Division VI U.S. Corps which remained here from 20 October to 9 November 1864.

(Sidebar Quote): "I have kept pretty busy lately in consequence of this move. First I selected the Camps of the Brigades,
Hupp’s Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 31, 2020
2. Hupp’s Hill Marker
The marker has weathered but remains legible.
Click or scan to see
this page online
then laid out, with stakes a line of intrenchments, and then posted a line of pickets. This picket line is four miles long and required a great deal of riding to arrange the details and get the best line."
Hazard Stevens in a letter to his mother written Oct. 24, 1864.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
 
Location. 39° 0.028′ N, 78° 20.971′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from Old Valley Pike (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south. Located in the parking lot for the Hupp's Hill Civil War Park (formerly Stonewall Jackson Headquarters Museum and Crystal Caverns). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 33229 Old Valley Pike, Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trail Head (here, next to this marker); Field Fortifications (a few steps from this marker); The Shenandoah Valley / Battle of Cedar Creek, October 19, 1864 (a few steps from this marker); A Natural Bombproof (within shouting distance of this marker); Signal Knob (within shouting distance of this marker); Strasburg (within shouting distance of this marker); Crystal Caverns Mine (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Cave (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
 
More about this marker. The marker displays a drawing of civil war artillery in action, and a portrait of Hazard Stevens above the sidebar quote.
 
Also see . . .
Hupp’s Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 31, 2020
3. Hupp’s Hill Marker

1. Battle of Cedar Creek Staff Ride. The Museum is tour stop one on the Center of Military History staff ride of the Battle of Cedar Creek. (Submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation. (Submitted on December 12, 2011, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.)
 
Fortifications on Hupp's Hill image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
4. Fortifications on Hupp's Hill
French/US 6 pounder Naval Gun image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
5. French/US 6 pounder Naval Gun
At the entrance to the museum, two iron cannon stand guard. The tag on the side of the carriage states the guns are French/US manufacture naval guns dredged from the York River, presumed to date to the siege of Yorktown, in 1781.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,629 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on December 12, 2011, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. Photos:   1. submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=50441

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021